HAND NO 24: MAJOR OPENING

Dealer: South
Vul: None

North

10 9 3
J 10 6
K 7
A K 8 7 2

 

West

East

 

K 6 5 2
5 2
Q J 9 3 2
J 4

Q J 7
8 3
A 8 5 4
Q 10 9 3

 

South

 

A 8 4
A K Q 9 7 4
10 6
6 5

 

South

West

North

East

 
 

1(1)
2(3)
Pass

Pass
Pass
Pass

2(2)
4(4)
 

Pass
Pass
 

(1) 5+ , 13-21 HCP

(2) 4+ , 10+ HCP, forcing for one round

(3) Minimum opening hand, 5+ , 13-15 HCP

(4) Support of 3+ , 10-17 TP, closing

CONTRACT: 4 South

OPENING LEAD: Q (top of a sequence)

PLAN

Four possible losers: two spades and two diamonds.

Line of play: establish the club suit to discard one or two spade losers.

PLAY

Trick 1 W: Q, K, A, 6

Trick 2 E: 4, 10, J, 7

Trick 3 W: 2, 3, J, A

Two tricks have already been conceded to the defense and two more may come from the spade suit unless declarer can establish the club suit.

The only critical distribution of the clubs is a 4-2 break which requires a safety play. Two entries are needed to the dummy to perform this play.

Trick 4 S: A, 2, 6, 3

Trick 5 S: 6, 4, K, 3

Trick 6 N: A, 9, 6, J

Trick 7 N: 2, 10, K, 2

Trick 8 S: 4, 3, 10, 5

Trick 9 N: 7, Q, Q, 5

Declarer finaly leads a low heart to dummy's jack to discard one of his losing spades on the club eight.

This line of play wins whenever trumps divide 3-1 (50 % probability) or 2-2 (41 % probability) but loses if they break 0-4 (9 % probability).

RESULT

Declarer makes his contract.

The defense takes three tricks: one spade and two diamonds.

Previous hand

Next hand

ENGLISH HOMEPAGE            Copyright 1999-2001 by Roger Dunn            PAGE D'ACCUEIL FRANÇAIS